Bad day! good day!!

It was the first day of April. I got up early in the morning only to hear a bad news. To be exact, it was 5:20 in the morning. My father woke me up and told me that my aunt ( elder sister of my father) have passed away few hours earlier. Several hours earlier we were informed that her condition was not good she might not make it till midnight. I didn’t know what to say. So I remained quiet and prayed for her departed soul.

My father told me to prepare myself to leave for Chandpur to attend the burial. He also told me that we will be leaving in an hour. Although I was scheduled to leave for university an hours later, I had to make a change for this incident. I prepared myself in next 30 minutes. We were supposed to travel with my uncles who will also attend the burial. Later we decided to go by ourselves. Because of the that decision my mom wanted to go with us. We set out by 6:15am leaving my sister and young nieces alone at home.

By 10:30 am in the morning we reached to Chandpur and by 11am we reached to our destination. However my uncles didn’t reach till then. I entered inside the house and saw my my aunt for one last time. Later I came to know that her burial was scheduled right after the Zohor prayer and all the preparation is complete. I met with my uncle and said my condolences. I really felt sorry for his loss. But I was more sorry watching his condition. He was just like a broken man.

By 1 pm everyone was present including my uncles. Then we went to say Zohor prayer. After the prayer, everyone attended the “namaj-e-janaza” to pray for her soul. The we attended the burial and once again prayed for her.

When I was attending my aunt’s burial, I got a phone call from unknown number. However I didn’t pick it up. After the burial, I tried to call that number several time but the number was busy. After an hour later, that number called me again. This time picked it up and asked who was it. Person in the other side told me that he is a HR officer of a bank of which I attended a written test several months ago. The HR officer said that an interview had been scheduled for me in the next morning. He gave me the address of head office of the bank and told me to be there right at 11 am. I confirmed that I will be there.

I was little surprised for getting the call. I knew that I wasn’t selected for the position for which I appeared in the exam. They have recruited for the position 2 months earlier.

Later I visited our own house and stayed there for a while. I was little tired from this journey. So I tried to take a quick nap. I was almost asleep when I got another phone call. I picked it up only to know that I was asked to join in the Chartered Accountant Firm in the next morning. I was waiting for this call for 5/6 months. I became very excited. Problem was I was asked to join in at 9:30. I knew it would be hard for me to join at 9:30 in the next morning. So I told them that I will be there by 10 as I am not in the city.

In the evening we went to my grandpa’s (mother’s father) house. we stayed there till 9 pm. In the mean time I roam around my old town to see how it have changed while I was away. I was little but shocked when I found that I couldn’t recognize most to the roads and places. Well it has been 10 years since I left this town. I became nostalgic.

I started for Dhaka at 9 pm and safely reached home in the very early morning in the next day. And by 10 am I joined in the CA firm ignoring the offer for interview at the bank. And that’s another story.

I was wondering how was the first day of April. Day and the month started with a very bad news. On the other hand first day ended with two good news. I think it would be a bad day. Because I had to bid farewell to my aunt for the last time. I know I would get lots of calls later. Though it would take some time. But they will come many times as long as I am alive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.